Friday, November 6, 2009

It Would Only Happen To Me...

Have you ever had one of those 'this sort of thing only happens to me' moments? Yeah...me too...I had one yesterday.

I attended my first Al-Anon meeting. I was told by the counselors at my husband's rehab that these meetings would benefit me and give me support and so forth and so on...so, yesterday at noon I drug my ass to one. I'm not sure what I expected but this is what I got...

As we know, AA and it's affiliated groups are based on what they call a 'spiritual' process. They mention a 'higher power' and turning your life over to it and blah, blah, blah. They tell you it doesn't have to be the Christian God, but come on, we know that's what they mean, right? So, being an atheist, I knew I would eventually have to put myself out there and explain why that whole 'turning my life over to a higher power' thing might not work for me. I just didn't expect it to happen at my first meeting. But, it did...and I irritated another member...specifically, an old lady. Yep, that's right...I'm going to Al-Anon meetings and aggravating the piss out of senior citizens with my atheism.

Now, before you get all up in arms about how could I possibly do this and I must be one of those 'new atheists' you keep hearing about with their loud mouths and their arrogance and their scientific evidence let me say this...SHE STARTED IT! I was content to politely explain my position and let it go...but oh no...God-loving Granny told me, to my face, that I was 'full of shit'. (Her exact words, I might add...it seems you can cuss like a sailor as long as you profess a love for God...go figure.)

I tried with all my might and a calm demeanor and smile on my face to disengage this woman since I was explaining myself to another woman that was actually listening and interested and getting where I was coming from.

Now that I look back on it...it was funny...and it would only happen to me.

On a darker note...my husband called last night and he is apparently even more crazy sober than he ever was when he was high on the pills. I'm not sure if all this schizophrenic shit is normal or not...I just know I'm tired of it and I'm not sure I can take much more. It is starting to dawn on me that my marriage may be over. I can't describe how sad that makes me feel...but it's out of my control so I just have to accept it and try to move on with my life. Yeah...wish me luck with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment